Laurie and I took a drive over to the Huntington Library (where she once worked as a clerk) to see a display of art by the members of the Berndt Toast Gang. The Gang is a branch of the National Cartoonists Society, made up of artists who live (or lived) on Long Island.
Among the art and artists most recognizable to comic book fans:
* A Wonder Woman page by Don Heck
* A Superboy and Krypto double-spread penciled by Kurt Schaffenberger and inked by Gang member Joe Giella (and scripted by my pal Paul Kupperberg)
* A painting of Batman, also by Giella
* A Phantom daily strip by Sy Barry
* Two sketches by Golden Age artist Craig Flessel
* A Mad piece by Mort Drucker
There were plenty of other artists represented, some of whom I'd heard of and some I was unfamiliar with. I would have liked a bit of biographical information about each of the artists, but even without it, this is a display worth seeing if you are in the area.